Tuesday, August 12, 2014

The Final Cut

What a week it has been. And it is only Tuesday. Wake up on Sunday morning to see that Tony Stewart killed another driver on a race track in New York. Still don't know how I feel about that, other than sad for the man's family and all his friends.
Then comes Monday. Robin Williams passing just made me sad. As a huge fan of comedy and all those that make their living trying to make us laugh, I still am in a funk over this. Part of my childhood was spent hours on end in front of the TV. Mork and Mindy was a favorite of mine, and I still remember the first Comic Relief. I loved Good Morning Vietnam, for the funny and the serious. Insomnia and One Hour Photo blew my mind showing the sinister side of a man I knew only from stream of conciousness comedy. Then I saw Good Will Hunting, and I was amazed at the range of talent that seemed to ooze out of the man. I always new that there were demons in the background but I really thought maybe he was past that, but I was naive, nothing is ever that easy. I am sad for his kids, I am sad for others that he loved and loved him back, and I am sad that there is nothing that can be done. Depression is real, it is scary, and I fear it is closer at times than I would like. I hope wherever he is he is making others laugh but most of all I hope he is laughing too...

No comments:

Post a Comment